Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'm going to be director of the moma one day...

well, maybe. I'm leaving art school this summer and my father is afraid that I won't find a job, because "artists are impoverished". Actually I'm not an artist, but an art theorist and on my way to become the next moma director, latest since I read about Glenn Lowry's (the moma director) salary of $1.3m and the benefit of $5.4m he received lately. Not too bad, isn't it!?
Why does the rumor of poor artists and unemployed art historians persits? It's true that there're a lot of creatives struggling with jobs, money, success but that's because of ideology (you want to do your thing as an artist and not sell yourself to the industry. Sometimes it might also be disqualification) and not of disinterest on the part of the society/economy...
I can hardly imagine another field where prices rise faster unto such unbelievable hights than in the artworld. Let's see what the newly established gulf art fair in dubai will bring.
It's all about money, money, money. It's fashionable to collect art it's cool, hip, whatever - just take a look at art basel and art basel miami beach. No news to you I guess!
If you have the looks, the guts and a little(!) theoretical background you can make it (probably not long, but long enough to make a fortune!).
I really don't know what to think about this hype. I enjoy the fairs, the parties and the people, but somehow still am an academic with academic background and knowledge which a lot of people seem to lack in this game (but keep talking as if they had). What will happen to my little gallery when I keep beeing idealistic, keep curating little theoratically based exhibitions without the ostensible intention of selling art!?

Credit: thecityreview.com | cfa-berlin.com | gulfartfair.com| ictv1.com

No comments:

Post a Comment