Monday, February 19, 2007

What's wrong with the models nowadays?

I've just read this article by Anna Bayle (via fashionologie) which really got me thinking. Although I believe that there're still modelling icons on today's runways like Iekeliene Stange, Daiane Conterato, Agyness Deyn, Coco Rocha just to name a few...
When I grew up - which was in the 90s - and wanted to be a model (sometimes) I thought of women (!) like Naomi, Christy, Cindy, Linda, Tatjana... I though "are my legs already as long as those of Nadja Auermann?" Today I just don't know how long the legs of Suvi Koponen, the 18year old finnish model,are (just that they're unacceptably thin!) and maybe I don't wanna know. Why should I, is anyone going to talk about her in 4 years? Then she'll be 22 and an old woman!?
Models have become "generic," "nondescript," and "disposable", shows are "boring and robot-like" that's what Anna Bayle says. There're so many aspects which form a commercial, fast changing, always available (and if not, replaceble - there're tons of eastern europan beauties (!) waiting to do "it" for nothing in hope for a better and succesful life, hanging around bored backstage!) something (imagine Naomi starting her carrer with her present attitudes today. Too late once and noone would ever hear of her again!) which reflects today's society.
Business is rough nowadays! I know why I stick to the artworld. Not less rough but it doesn't have so much to do with age and heigt!

Featured article: Anna Bayle march of innocents published on daily fashion report.

Credit: style.com | vogue.de

No comments:

Post a Comment