Friday, June 6, 2008

PATTI SMITH IN CONCERT

splash_051908
credit: Jean Baptiste Mondino

The actual reason why I am now sitting in Art Basel's Media center is the fact that I got invited by Cartier to a private little concert by Patti Smith, which took part yesterday evening at Basel's St. Elisabeth church. As you may know there currently is an exhibition of Patti Smith's photographs at La Fondation Cartier pour l'art contemporain in Paris. And since Patti not only writes poems and takes nice pictures Cartier thought it might be nice to let her sing in front of some assorted guests. I have to admit though that I didn't really know here before - well of course the name, some stories bla bla... but to be honest, she really is somewhere out of my orbit - I am too young, she is too old... whatever. The concert was quite good though and I happy to hear her perform my all time favourite Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit in a much more relaxed version. If you want to get an idea about how the concert actually was like, please look at her perform "Because the night" on you tube.

IMG_0014
IMG_0017
IMG_0016

This woman kind of rocked the church. I felt weired sitting in the first row not really knowing what to do while the arty "oldies" in the rows behind me felt taken back to their youth times (and kind of behaved like that). Some things I really thought were (1) get yourself a men's "blazer" (2) I want a shirt like that with holes in it that look like they are there on purpose (3) hm I am not sure about the cowboy boots (4) will I be as energetic as that at her age? (5) she knew quite a lot of people that are now dead (Robert Marplethorpe whom she read a poem to, Francis Bacon and Robert Rauschenberg whom she dedicated songs to etc.). So and now I will leave you with all these artists names and head back to art basel looking for some young... whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment